The Linn DSM products provide HDMI pass through of HDMI V1.4 & V2.0 signals depending on the model
The Linn DSM products HDMI output will:-
1. Pass-throu the HDMI audio when the Linn DSM is in Standby.
2. Pass-throu the HDMI audio when the Linn DSM is listening to an Analogue or Digital Audio input.
3. BLOCK the HDMI audio to the TV if the the DSM is listening to a HDMI input.
ARC - Audio Return Channel
Due to difference in Manufacturers implementation of ARC, the Linn DSM does not support this function on Linn HDMI1 boards.
This is implemented in Klimax DSM, Akurate DSM and Majik DSM products from Sept 2016. Also available as an upgrade on earlier Klimax DSM, Akurate DSM and Majik DSM products
ARC will only feed SPDIF audio, that is Stereo and Dolby Digital/DTS. The Klimax DSM, Akurate DSM and Majik DSM will only support Stereo playback from this connection.
ARC setting on your Television vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. So please double check your TV setup manual.
Common issues for the lack of ARC audio: 1. The standard Linn DSM can only playback stereo audio. If the TV is set to output Dolby Digital or other Surround format then the Linn DSM will not play this audio and stay silent. make sure the audio output is set to "STEREO"'
2. The TV audio setup may be conflicting with itself. If possible do an "AV RESET" or equivalent on your TV, then setup for Audio format - Stereo and CEC-enabled (CEC can go by different names AnyNet+, Veiralink, SimpLink, RIHD, Kuro Link..... etc. Check what your TV call it)
3. You are connect to the wrong socket on your TV. Make sure it states "ARC"
Can I only feed Audio via an HDMI connection to the Linn DSM?
This is totally dependant on the HDMI source.
The Linn DSM will totally ignore the video section of the HDMI link and only capture the audio section.
Some HDMI sources, such as the original Chromecast devices, would only output the Audio if a video playback device was found in the HDMI communication (EDID). Others do not care if there is a video playback device and will still forward the audio to the Linn DSM
I cannot get any picture through the HDMI
The Playstation3 is known to have HDMI connection issues with many non-Linn devices.
- Select PS3 input on the Linn DSM
- While the PLAYSTATION 3 system is in standby mode (red light on the front of the system), hold down the touch-sensitive power button on the front of the system until the system goes into standby mode again . (So the light cycle would go from: red light --> green light --> then back to red light). This will ensure that you have held down the power button long enough to reset the Video Output Settings.
Apple MacMini, MacBook Pro etc
If you switch the DSM to the HDMI feed from a MacMini, MacBook etc, it will initially loose any picture and audio, this may take up to 30seconds to appear and for the Audio to return. This delay is due to the Mac performing HDMI communication and re-establishing the audio and video options.
HDMI connection with Video scalers
If you have a video scaler in the HDMI chain and you are not getting any picture through the Linn DSM, take the video scaler out of the system to see if the picture returns.
No Audio playback on HDMI connection
The Linn DSM will ONLY support 2ch (or multichannel) PCM audio, it does not support Dolby Digital, DTS etc without a Linn Surround module. If you feed an unsupported audio from your DVD player/Sat Receiver etc the Linn DSM can pass though to the TV if the DS is in Standby mode but when you select that input on the DSM there is no audio then double check that the audio out on the DVD/Sat is configured for 2ch PCM.
Click <HERE> for information on HDMI 2.0 and Linn DSM products.