Direct decoding of surround streams from HDMI / HDMI-ARC / TOSLINK / SPDIF is supported with the addition of a Linn Surround module mounted onto the HDMI-2 board within the DSM.
The Linn Surround module is sold only as an upgrade to any:
- Selekt or Akurate or Klimax DSM
The full list of supported devices is:
- Selekt Products
- Akurate Products
- Klimax Products
- The HDMI-2 boards have been fitted as standard since September 2016 and are available as an upgrade to all Akurate and Klimax DSM's.
Sneaky/Sekrit/Kiko & Majik Products
This Linn Surround Module upgrade is either not available or is not supported in these products.
Supported Surround formats in the Linn Surround Module
- Supported codecs on HDMI, HDMI-ARC, TOSLINK and SPDIF connections
- Dolby Digital,
- Dolby Digital Plus,
- Dolby TrueHD,
- DTS-HD Master Audio,
- DTS Neo:6....
- Dolby Atmos and DTS-X are not supported.
- Available from the Konfig > Dolby/DTS tab are Neo:6 mode selection, and ‘Dynamic Range Compression’ (formerly known as Midnight Movie Mode on earlier Linn products).
- Speaker positioning should be achieved through Space Optimisation, however if Space Optimisation is disabled, the speaker distances may be configured from the Konfig > Dolby/DTS tab.
Surround audio is NOT Songcasted to other rooms. Songcast will only support Stereo audio, if you DSM front panel is showing a Surround mode then this audio is not shared via Songcast.
To reduce the Exakt hardware requirements for extra channels, it is possible to configure an ExaktBox or ExaktBox-I to drive one non-Exakt speaker per channel, up to a maximum of 8 channels, using either a 6 x channel passthrough or 8 x channel passthrough Exakt filter.
Space Optimization will be supported for this configuration, but not Space Optimisation+ (for Exakt speakers).
- Speakers can be driven from any combination of:
- Direct analogue output from the DSM
- Exakt Speaker
- Exaktbox configured with crossovers for one or two speakers
- Exaktbox configured as passthrough for up to 6 or 8 surround speakers
- Linn Selekt DSM cartridge(s)
- Examples of speaker setups can be found HERE
Some information for setup in Konfig can be found HERE
Trim the speaker levels
You can trim the Speakers levels using an inbuilt Pink noise generator within the Linn DSM. But Space Optimisation will need to be setup first to get the correct speaker positioning and timing.
After Space Optimisation has been setup you can adjust the trim, more details are listed HERE
Setup via IR handset:
- Use the left/right handset joystick control to adjust the Lipsync. (make sure that in Konfid the "delay mode" for that source is set for "Video Sync"
- Press the Up/Down buttons to adjust the LFE (sub-woofer) settings.