- 1 What is HDMI?
- 1.1 How does the Linn DSM handle HDMI?
- 1.2 HDMI 1.4
- 1.3 HDMI 2.0
- 1.4 Linn HDMI 2.0 specification
- 1.5 HDMI 2.0 cables
- 1.6 HDMI 2.0 Surround sound
- 1.7 List of products that support the surround upgrade module
- 1.8 Surround formats supported by the Linn Surround Module
- 1.9 Decode Mode
- 1.10 Speaker positioning
- 1.11 Speaker level adjustments
- 1.12 Surround Songcast
- 1.13 Speaker configurations
- 1.14 Setup via IR handset
- 1.15 FAQ HDMI issues
- 1.16 HDMI ARC
- 2 General HDMI issues
- 2.1 ARC - Audio Return Channel
- 2.2 I cannot get any picture through the HDMI
- 2.3 No Audio playback on HDMI connection
- 2.4 Audio keeps muting/unmuting
- 2.5 APPLE TV4 switching TV On and Off Plus controlling Tv volume
- 2.6 No Audio from a Linn DSM HDMI connection
- 2.7 Hiss or White noise Audio from a Linn DSM HDMI connection
- 2.8 Do Linn DSM products support HDMI 2.1?
What is HDMI?
This is High-Definition Multimedia IInterface is an interface from both uncompressed video data and audio.
There are several standards of HDMI as this has improved over time. The point to be careful on is that the connection points may meet some of the these HDMi V*.** but not all.
How does the Linn DSM handle HDMI?
The most Linn DSM products, with exception of Selekt ARM, come by default with HDMI switch devices.
- No HDMI input selected: If you are not listening to an HDMI input then the last HDMI input selected Audio and Video are "passed thru" to the HDMI output. This will allow you to listen to an audio only source, such as Radio, and watch and listen to your Satellite receiver on your TV.
- HDMI input selected: If you then select an HDMI input on your Linn DSM then audio is redirected to the Linn DSM speakers. Now the HDMI source, e.g. Satellite reciever, audio is only playing from the Linn DSM speakers
- Linn DSM in Sleep/Standby: You can configure in Konfig that when the Linn DSM is in Sleep/Standby mode then this will NOT thru the Audio & Video. In most Tv's this will sense that there is no HDMI and put the Tv into Standby after a few minutes.
This is supported by all Linn DSM products and supports up to 1080p resolution.
HDMI 2.0 is the HDMI standard that supports 4K. This means that the HDMI 2.0 connections can pass a lot more data than HDMI 1.4 and therefore allow higher resolution video and audio capabilites.
Majik, Akurate & Klimax DSM products with HDMI 1.4 boards can be upgraded to HDMI 2.0 capability.
The Sneaky, Sekrit & Kiko products use HDMI 1.4 and are not upgradable.
Linn HDMI 2.0 specification
The HDMI 2.0 specification of products that support this HDMI connection are:
Supports 4k resolution @ 60Hz frame rate, 4:4:4, HDCP 2.2, HDR, ARC, CEC, data rate 18Gbps
HDMI 2.0 cables
This HDMI 2.0 board is available as an UPGRADE on earlier Majik, Akurate & Klimax DSM products
Linn recommend using HDMI Certified cables with these products.
HDMI 2.0 Surround sound
You need the Linn Surround module for this check:
Direct decoding of surround streams from HDMI / HDMI-ARC / TOSLINK / SPDIF is supported with the addition of a Linn Surround module mounted onto the HDMI-2 board within the DSM.
The Linn Surround module is sold only as an upgrade to any:
List of products that support the surround upgrade module
- Selekt Products
- Akurate Products
- Klimax Products
- The HDMI-2 boards have been fitted as standard since September 2016 and are available as an upgrade to all Akurate and Klimax DSM's.
Sneaky/Sekrit/Kiko & Majik Products
This Linn Surround Module upgrade is either not available or is not supported in these products.
Surround formats supported by the Linn Surround Module
- Supported codecs on HDMI, HDMI-ARC, TOSLINK and SPDIF connections
- Dolby Digital,
- Dolby Digital Plus,1
- Dolby TrueHD,
- DTS-HD Master Audio,
- DTS Neo:6....
- Dolby Atmos, DTS-X & DTS-CD are not supported.
- 1 Supported on all HDMI inputs and HDMI-ARC connections on the Selekt products. Only supported on HDMI inputs, not HDMI-ARC, on Klimax, Akurate and Majik.
- Available from the Konfig > Dolby/DTS tab are 'Decode Mode' selection, and ‘Dynamic Range Compression’ setting (formerly known as Midnight Movie Mode on earlier Linn products). These settings apply to audio received on HDMI, HDMI-ARC, Toslink and SPDIF.
- This is not currently available in Manage systems setup only Konfig setup pages
Decode Mode settings explained:
- If Decode Mode is set to ‘Off’ then stereo streams will be presented in stereo and surround streams will be presented in surround, with down-mixing of the surround stream taking place to accommodate the number of speakers in the system.
- If Decode Mode is set to ‘Auto’ then stereo streams will be up-mixed to surround using the automatic up-mixing algorithm in the chipset. Surround streams are presented as above.
- There are also options for ‘DTS Neo 6 Music’ and ‘DTS Neo 6 Cinema’. These are similar to ‘Auto’ but the choice here determines which algorithm is used to up-mix a stereo stream.
- Speaker positioning should be achieved through Space Optimisation, however if Space Optimisation is disabled, the speaker distances may be configured from the Konfig > Dolby/DTS tab.
Speaker level adjustments
You can trim the Speakers levels using an inbuilt Pink noise generator within the Linn DSM. But Space Optimisation will need to be setup first to get the correct speaker positioning and timing.
After Space Optimisation has been setup you can adjust the trim, more details are listed HERE
Surround audio is NOT Songcasted to other rooms. Songcast will only support Stereo audio. If your DSM front panel is showing a Surround mode then this audio is not shared via Songcast.
To reduce the Exakt hardware requirements for extra channels, it is possible to configure an ExaktBox or ExaktBox-I to drive one non-Exakt speaker per channel, up to a maximum of 8 channels, using either a 6 x channel passthrough or 8 x channel passthrough Exakt filter.
These are FULL-RANGE outputs in accordance to the Surround channel assigned, that can be fed to any Linn or non-Linn loudspeaker.
Space Optimization will be supported for this configuration, but not Space Optimisation+ (for Exakt speakers).
- Speakers can be driven from any combination of:
- Direct analogue output from the DSM
- Exakt Speaker
- Exaktbox configured with crossovers for one or two speakers
- Exaktbox configured as passthrough for up to 6 or 8 surround speakers
- Linn Selekt DSM cartridge(s)
- Examples of speaker setups can be found HERE
Some information for setup in Konfig can be found HERE
Setup via IR handset
- Use the left/right handset joystick control to adjust the Lipsync. (make sure that in Konfig the "delay mode" for that source is set for "Video Sync"
- Press the Up/Down buttons to adjust the LFE (sub-woofer) settings.
- Turning OFF the HDMI module in Konfig/Manage systems will also turn OFF the Surround Sound module.
FAQ HDMI issues
Check [HDMI issues]
- HDMI Audio Return Channel is the audio returned from the same HDMI cable feeding A/V to the television.
- This is only supported on the HDMI-2 board, on the Selekt DSM and on the Series 3.
- This input can ONLY be used with a television. If any other HDMI source is connected to this input then no audio will occur. (The HDMI ARC communication is different to standard HDMI communications)
- This HDMI ARC input is declared as a seperate input on the Linn DSM/HUB control. This can be set to automatically switch to this HDMI-ARC input when you have just switched on your television. More information on how to set this up are in the Konfig manual
- General limitations with ARC are that it doesn't communicate with the playback device, in this case the Linn DSM, what Surround formats that it supports, if any. You need to check within the TV setup that the HDMI-ARC connection will only output in a format/codec that the Linn DSM will support. (2-ch/stereo PCM for a standard Linn DSM/HUB and 5.1ch Surround sound for one with a Linn Surrond module).
General HDMI issues
The Linn DSM products provide HDMI pass through of HDMI V1.4 and HDMI 2.0 (for Products with the HDMI2 board) signals
The Linn DSM products HDMI output will:-
1. Pass-through the HDMI audio when the Linn DSM is in Standby.
2. Pass-through the HDMI audio when the Linn DSM is listening to an Analogue or Digital Audio input.
3. BLOCK the HDMI audio to the TV if the the DSM is listening to an HDMI input.
ARC - Audio Return Channel
Only the Klimax DSM / Akurate DSM / Majik DSM with HDMI2 boards (>Sept 2016) plus the Selekt DSM & Series 3 (301) will support this connection.
I cannot get any picture through the HDMI
The Linn DSM with HDMI2 board supports 4k resolution
The Playstation3 is known to have HDMI connection issues with many non-Linn devices.
- Select PS3 input on the Linn DSM
- While the PLAYSTATION 3 system is in standby mode (red light on the front of the system), hold down the touch-sensitive power button on the front of the system until the system goes into standby mode again . (So the light cycle would go from: red light --> green light --> then back to red light). This will ensure that you have held down the power button long enough to reset the Video Output Settings.
Virgin Media V6 / Sky-Q
The Virgin Media V6 & Sky-Q boxes are very strict on HDCP issues, as these work in HDCP 2.2. It has been found that if your TV or Projector only supports HDCP 1.4 and your AV Receiver (Linn DSM or other manufacturer) supports HDCP 2.2 then the mismatch will cause the Virgin Media V6/Sky-Q box NOT to send video (due to encryption issues).
The solution is to put an HDCP convertor, such as the LINDY or NEET Bidirectional HDCP Converter, V2.2 to V1.4, between the Virgin Media V6 or Sky-Q HDMI output and Linn DSM HDMI input. This will force all communications to HDCP 1.4
Some customers have found disabling "CEC" and "CEC Auto Select Source" on HDMI section of Konfig will fix this issue. (Do the Konfig changes and power cycle the Virgin Media/Sky box)
Apple MacMini, MacBook Pro etc
If you switch the DSM to the HDMI feed from a MacMini, MacBook, etc. it will initially lose any picture and audio. This may take up to 30 seconds to appear and for the audio to return. This delay is due to the Mac performing HDMI communication and re-establishing the audio and video options.
HDMI connection with Video scalers
If you have a video scaler in the HDMI chain and you are not getting any picture through the Linn DSM, take the video scaler out of the system to see if the picture returns.
No Audio playback on HDMI connection
The standard Linn DSM will ONLY support 2ch (or multichannel) PCM audio. It does not support Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. unless you have a Linn Surround Module installed in your Linn DSM.
If you feed an unsupported audio format from your DVD player, sat receiver, etc. the Linn DSM can pass this through to the TV if the DS is in standby mode. If when you select that input on the DSM there is no audio then double check that the audio out on the DVD/Sat is configured for 2ch PCM.
Audio keeps muting/unmuting
If your Linn DSM has an HDMI2 board then this may be the TV trying to control the Linn DSM volume.
Go into Konfig > your Linn DSM > HDMI. DISABLE the CEC settings and reboot the Linn DSM. This should stop this mute/unmute from occuring.
APPLE TV4 switching TV On and Off Plus controlling Tv volume
When using an Apple TV4 with a Linn DSM with HDMI2 (>Sept 2016).
- We would advise to go into the Apple TV settings > "Remotes and Devices" and
- turn OFF "Control TV's and Receivers".
- turn OFF "Control TV's and Receivers".
Otherwise the TV may be confused about its power state and Audio Return Channel (ARC - Audio from TV to Linn DSM).
You can use the Apple TV handset to control the Linn DSM volume by IR if this is required.
No Audio from a Linn DSM HDMI connection
The standard Linn DSM will ONLY support 2ch (or multichannel) PCM audio. It does not support Dolby Digital, DTS etc unless you have a Linn Surround Module installed in your Linn DSM.
- On Davaar 55, the surround function has been added.
- If the incoming audio from the HDMI source is multi-channel PCM, this audio is NOT broadcast using Songcast.
- This will occur even if you only have a pair of speakers defined on the Linn DSM, it still has to downmix the incoming multi-channel audio.
If you only have the front Left & Right speakers defined in Konfig the solution is to go to your HDMI source and change its HDMI audio output to Stereo PCM.
Hiss or White noise Audio from a Linn DSM HDMI connection
This means that the Linn DSM is playing an unsupported codec. This can happen if you are trying to play, for example, a DTS-CD track. (This is normally caught in HDMI communication but some audio formats send encoded data in a normal format)
Check to see if your Media player/Blu-Ray/DVD player can decode this into Multi-Channel PCM.
Do Linn DSM products support HDMI 2.1?
Linn DSM products do not currently support the HDMI 2.1 specification.
HDMI 2.0 deals with 4K video with 18GHz bandwidth and is compatible with current Majik, Akurate and Klimax DSM products.
HDMI 2.1 deals with up to 10K video with 48GHz bandwidth and at the time of writing (March 2019) there are no cables, sources or playback devices commercially available supporting this specification.