Surround support is currently available for HDMI multichannel PCM audio streams as standard. This is suitable for most Blu-Ray and DVD players, some media streamers and some set top boxes, although all of these sources downgrade higher precision audio to 48k/16 bit when transmitting multichannel PCM audio over HDMI.
The Linn Surround Module supports encoded multichannel audio streams via HDMI, HDMI-ARC, SPDIF and TOSLINK. This is suitable for playback of surround audio from internal TV sources such as Netflix, or external sources such as Chromecast, Blu-Ray players, etc.
- Up to Davaar 37 firmware, (May 2016), and Majik/Akurate/Klimax products with HDMI-1 boards.
- Note: this firmware will not be available for most of the newer Linn DS/DSM products due to hardware changes making this firmware incompatible
- Multi-channel LPCM support only
- The HDMI audio could be split to allow the Front Left/Right to play on the Linn DSM and remaining channels fed to the Linn DSM HDMI OUT to a surround processor to deal with the remaining channel.
- Details of this operation can be found Surround options up to Davaar 37 & Surround with an additional Processor
- From Davaar 55 (Mar 2017), and Majik/Akurate/Klimax DSM products with Exakt capability.
- These products can take multi-channel PCM audio from the HDMI input. This PCM audio could then be used with the Linn DSM analogue outputs and Exakt-link connections. This now allowed the capabailty of 7.1ch Surround audio, the limitation is that the HDMI source MUST be able to feed this Surround Format.
- Details of this operation can be found Surround options from Davaar 55 & Set up and adjusting
Direct decoding of surround streams from HDMI / HDMI-ARC / TOSLINK / SPDIF is supported with the addition of a Linn Surround module mounted onto the HDMI-2 board within the DSM.
The Linn Surround module is sold only as an upgrade to any:
- Selekt or Akurate or Klimax DSM
List of products that support the surround upgrade module
- Selekt Products
- Akurate Products
- Klimax Products
- The HDMI-2 boards have been fitted as standard since September 2016 and are available as an upgrade to all Akurate and Klimax DSM's.
Sneaky/Sekrit/Kiko & Majik Products
This Linn Surround Module upgrade is either not available or is not supported in these products.
Surround formats supported by the Linn Surround Module
- Supported codecs on HDMI, HDMI-ARC, TOSLINK and SPDIF connections
- Dolby Digital,
- Dolby Digital Plus,
- Dolby TrueHD,
- DTS-HD Master Audio,
- DTS Neo:6....
- Dolby Atmos, DTS-X & DTS-CD are not supported.
- Available from the Konfig > Dolby/DTS tab are 'Decode Mode' selection, and ‘Dynamic Range Compression’ setting (formerly known as Midnight Movie Mode on earlier Linn products). These settings apply to audio received on HDMI, HDMI-ARC, Toslink and SPDIF.
Decode Mode settings explained:
- If Decode Mode is set to ‘Off’ then stereo streams will be presented in stereo and surround streams will be presented in surround, with down-mixing of the surround stream taking place to accommodate the number of speakers in the system.
- If Decode Mode is set to ‘Auto’ then stereo streams will be up-mixed to surround using the automatic up-mixing algorithm in the chipset. Surround streams are presented as above.
- There are also options for ‘DTS Neo 6 Music’ and ‘DTS Neo 6 Cinema’. These are similar to ‘Auto’ but the choice here determines which algorithm is used to up-mix a stereo stream.
- Speaker positioning should be achieved through Space Optimisation, however if Space Optimisation is disabled, the speaker distances may be configured from the Konfig > Dolby/DTS tab.
Speaker level adjustments
You can trim the Speakers levels using an inbuilt Pink noise generator within the Linn DSM. But Space Optimisation will need to be setup first to get the correct speaker positioning and timing.
After Space Optimisation has been setup you can adjust the trim, more details are listed HERE
Surround audio is NOT Songcasted to other rooms. Songcast will only support Stereo audio. If your DSM front panel is showing a Surround mode then this audio is not shared via Songcast.
To reduce the Exakt hardware requirements for extra channels, it is possible to configure an ExaktBox or ExaktBox-I to drive one non-Exakt speaker per channel, up to a maximum of 8 channels, using either a 6 x channel passthrough or 8 x channel passthrough Exakt filter.
These are FULL-RANGE outputs in accordance to the Surround channel assigned, that can be fed to any Linn or non-Linn loudspeaker.
Space Optimization will be supported for this configuration, but not Space Optimisation+ (for Exakt speakers).
- Speakers can be driven from any combination of:
- Direct analogue output from the DSM
- Exakt Speaker
- Exaktbox configured with crossovers for one or two speakers
- Exaktbox configured as passthrough for up to 6 or 8 surround speakers
- Linn Selekt DSM cartridge(s)
- Examples of speaker setups can be found HERE
Some information for setup in Konfig can be found HERE
Setup via IR handset
- Use the left/right handset joystick control to adjust the Lipsync. (make sure that in Konfig the "delay mode" for that source is set for "Video Sync"
- Press the Up/Down buttons to adjust the LFE (sub-woofer) settings.
- Turning OFF the HDMI module in Konfig/Manage systems will also turn OFF the Surround Sound module.
FAQ HDMI issues
Check [HDMI issues]