Direct decoding of surround streams from HDMI / HDMI-ARC / TOSLINK / SPDIF is supported with the addition of a Linn Surround module mounted onto the HDMI-2 board within the DSM.
The Linn Surround module is sold only as an upgrade to any:
- Selekt or Akurate or Klimax DSM
List of products that support the surround upgrade module
- Selekt Products
- Akurate Products
- Klimax Products
- The HDMI-2 boards have been fitted as standard since September 2016 and are available as an upgrade to all Akurate and Klimax DSM's.
Sneaky/Sekrit/Kiko & Majik Products
This Linn Surround Module upgrade is either not available or is not supported in these products.
Surround formats supported by the Linn Surround Module
- Supported codecs on HDMI, HDMI-ARC, TOSLINK and SPDIF connections
- Dolby Digital,
- Dolby Digital Plus,1
- Dolby TrueHD,
- DTS-HD Master Audio,
- DTS Neo:6....
- Dolby Atmos, DTS-X & DTS-CD are not supported.
- 1 Supported on all HDMI inputs and HDMI-ARC connections on the Selekt products. Only supported on HDMI inputs, not HDMI-ARC, on Klimax, Akurate and Majik.
- Available from the Konfig > Dolby/DTS tab are 'Decode Mode' selection, and ‘Dynamic Range Compression’ setting (formerly known as Midnight Movie Mode on earlier Linn products). These settings apply to audio received on HDMI, HDMI-ARC, Toslink and SPDIF.
- This is not currently available in Manage systems setup only Konfig setup pages
Decode Mode settings explained:
- If Decode Mode is set to ‘Off’ then stereo streams will be presented in stereo and surround streams will be presented in surround, with down-mixing of the surround stream taking place to accommodate the number of speakers in the system.
- If Decode Mode is set to ‘Auto’ then stereo streams will be up-mixed to surround using the automatic up-mixing algorithm in the chipset. Surround streams are presented as above.
- There are also options for ‘DTS Neo 6 Music’ and ‘DTS Neo 6 Cinema’. These are similar to ‘Auto’ but the choice here determines which algorithm is used to up-mix a stereo stream.
- Speaker positioning should be achieved through Space Optimisation, however if Space Optimisation is disabled, the speaker distances may be configured from the Konfig > Dolby/DTS tab.
Speaker level adjustments
You can trim the Speakers levels using an inbuilt Pink noise generator within the Linn DSM. But Space Optimisation will need to be setup first to get the correct speaker positioning and timing.
After Space Optimisation has been setup you can adjust the trim, more details are listed HERE
Surround audio is NOT Songcasted to other rooms. Songcast will only support Stereo audio. If your DSM front panel is showing a Surround mode then this audio is not shared via Songcast.
To reduce the Exakt hardware requirements for extra channels, it is possible to configure an ExaktBox or ExaktBox-I to drive one non-Exakt speaker per channel, up to a maximum of 8 channels, using either a 6 x channel passthrough or 8 x channel passthrough Exakt filter.
These are FULL-RANGE outputs in accordance to the Surround channel assigned, that can be fed to any Linn or non-Linn loudspeaker.
Space Optimization will be supported for this configuration, but not Space Optimisation+ (for Exakt speakers).
- Speakers can be driven from any combination of:
- Direct analogue output from the DSM
- Exakt Speaker
- Exaktbox configured with crossovers for one or two speakers
- Exaktbox configured as passthrough for up to 6 or 8 surround speakers
- Linn Selekt DSM cartridge(s)
- Examples of speaker setups can be found HERE
Some information for setup in Konfig can be found HERE
Setup via IR handset
- Use the left/right handset joystick control to adjust the Lipsync. (make sure that in Konfig the "delay mode" for that source is set for "Video Sync"
- Press the Up/Down buttons to adjust the LFE (sub-woofer) settings.
- Turning OFF the HDMI module in Konfig/Manage systems will also turn OFF the Surround Sound module.
FAQ HDMI issues
Check [HDMI issues]