ExaKt Trouble shooting
- 1 Exakt Prerequisites
- 2 Programming issues
- 3 Operational issues
Exakt system power sequence
The Exakt controller (DSM) identifies the Exakt connected products when the Exakt controller comes out of Standby. Make sure that ALL Exakt devices have power cords fitted and power switches turned ON. The Exakt speakers and Crossovers will ONLY power on when the Exakt controller is brought out of Standby. This will send a power trigger to the attached Exakt products and the Exakt controller will identify what is there and communicate with these devices.
If the Exakt speaker/Crossover is connected when the Exakt controller(DSM) is already out of standby this may cause confusion in the Exakt system and may not allow full operation or setup. The solution is to put the Exakt controller(DSM) into Standby, wait 10seconds and take out of Standby. This will power on the Exakt products and identify themselves to the Exakt Controller(DSM) for full operation.
If the Exakt speaker/ExaktBox does not power up
If the Exakt DSM is on but the Exaktspeakers/Exaktbox is not powering on, 1. check the Exakt link is wired correctly:-
2. Check there is Mains power to the Exakt speakers/ExaktBox
Exakt Link Wiring
The Exakt system uses twisted cables Category 5 CAT5 & Category 6 CAT6.
These cables must comply with Ethernet termination pairing. All 4-pairs are used.
If you have any connection difficulties on the cable, we suggest having them checked with LAN compliance testers.
Check Network cable type to check what you can use
The distance from the speaker to the wall are from the Front corner of the speaker cabinet, NOT the stand or any other part of the speaker.
We suggest that you generate a drawing with the Room layout and the speaker/listener locations within that room. similar to the diagram on this page
If you contact Linn Products regarding the operation of these Exakt products, please supply a copy of this dimensions/diagram.
Internal volume control
To enable Exakt options on the Exakt socketed DS/DSM ensure that the internal volume control is turn ON in Konfig.
Cannot find Urika II in konfig Exakt tab
The Radikal must be power on and driving the turntable platter before any power is supplied to the Urika II. If the LP12 base is not yet fitted check that the Exakt lights are on and flashing to show that the Urika II is powered on and operational/
Issues programming an Exakt speaker/Exaktbox
If the device fails to programme check that you are using a wired network connection from your PC/MAC to the LAN then:
1 - Make sure that the Linn DS/DSM and Exakt speakers are ON
2 - press fallback on each speaker
3 - run Konfig, go into the Linn DS/DSM > Exakt page and select <RESTORE> to programme each speaker.
- When a failure is reported, DO NOT press FALLBACK at any time:
- - Quit Konfig
- - Power cycle (Mains power OFF then ON), the Linn DS/DSM
- - Bring the Linn DS/DSM out of Sleep/Standby
- - Run Konfig, in Linn DS/DSM > Exakt page and each speaker should be showing the <RESTORE> button. Click <RESTORE> to restore these speakers
4 - device should now be reprogrammed correctly
5 - If you are still having diffculties please report to Linn giving details of the original software on the Linn DS (Davaar 32, Davaar50 etc...) and the serial numbers of the Exakt products you are trying to programme.
"Exakt Disabled" reported in Konfig
To enable Exakt options on the Linn DS/DSM ensure that the internal volume control is turn ON in Konfig.
Mono Sound from the speakers
If the audio from both speakers is identical we suspect that both speakers are defined as being the same channel. That is, both Left hand channel or both Right hand channel.
Make sure that the Left and Right speakers are defined Here
No Sound from the speakers
You MUST have at least:
LED_0 (Master port)- Flashing and
LED_1 (Audio Clock) - ON
LED_2 (Slave port) - OFF unless another 350 Exakt connected to this speakers Slave socket, then should be flashing
LED_3 (Software Status) - ON
- If these LED's (LED_0-3) are all OFF and only the FALLBACK (RED) LED is ON: then the speaker is still in Standby.
- That is Check that the Mains power is connected to the Exakt speaker/Tunbox is switched on and the product power switch is ON
IF YOU HAVE ANY DIFFICULTIES TRY ANOTHER CAT-5 EXAKT LINK CABLE FIRST
- Permanently OFF: There is no communications from the Exakt DSM: Solution: try a different Exakt Link cable from the Exakt DSM or Exakt Speaker Slave socket
- Permanently ON: Found by DSM, but no communications yet.
- FLASHING: WORKING
- Permanently OFF: No audio clock detected on the cable, Solution: try a different Exakt Link cable from the Exakt DSM
- Permanently ON: WORKING
- FLASHING: No audio clock is not locking, suspect poor cable connection, Solution: try a different Exakt Link cable from the Exakt DSM
- Permanently OFF: WORKING If Exakt speaker/Tunbox is NOT connected to the Slave socket
- Permanently ON: Slave Exakt Speaker/Tunbox found by this Exakt Speaker/TunbDSM, but no communications yet
- FLASHING: WORKING If Slave Exakt Speaker/Tunbox is connected to this Exakt Speaker/Tunbox
- Permanently OFF: not configured (default settings)
- Permanently ON: WORKING
- FLASHING: Hardware fault detected within this product
No Sound after software update?
The Exakt system may be a little confused to what devices it is connected to so go through the follow stages:
- Power cycle, (switch OFF, wait 10 seconds, switch ON the mains power), to the Linn DSM.
- Bring the Linn DSM out of standby and wait until the Exakt woken up (approx 6 seconds)
- Now try playing some Music
- if there is still no Music then check the indicator lights on the back of each speaker/ExaktBox as above
If everything now works, then ignore the rest of these stages and listen to your Music
The Exakt system may need to be setup again, you will need to run Konfig to go into the Exakt system to check/change the settings
- Run Konfig and select your Linn DS/DSM with Exakt
- There should three tabs on the setup page, DS Setup, Exakt,Space Optimisation+
- a) Select the Exakt Setup
- Note: If there are no tabs you have either selected the wrong Linn DS/DSM or internal settings on the DSM are corrupt. Go into Konfig>Advanced tab and select the <RESTORE> button against your Linn DS
- b) For Exakt speakers: check that your speakers have been assigned serial number and LEFT or RIGHT channel.
- c) For ExaktBox: check that that a Speaker, Variant, Serial number and channel has been assigned.
- If any of point b) or c) are blank then no audio will be passed through to the speakers.
- With ExaktBox check the power amplifers etc are switched On.
- 3 Do a sound test with the Exakt system, if problems STILL exist with no audio then go to the next stage
The Exakt system may have got confused as to what is connected. The solution is to clear all setting and start afresh.
- In Konfig, go into the ADVANCED tab and select the Exakt DS/DSM. Press the <RESTORE> button
- After the Linn Exakt DSM has reset, bring the Exakt DSM out of Sleep mode and wait until the Exakt speakers/Exakt box/ Akudorik stands has started, now press the FALLBACK button on both speakers or ExaktBox(es)
- In Konfig, this will show either UPDATES in the Konfig <UPDATE> tab or the RESTORE in the DSM EXAKT Setup tab. Update/Restore the devices required.
- After the update/restore has occured, power cycle the Exakt DSM for 10seconds (Mains off, Wait 10s, Mains ON). Leave the system to power up for approx 1minute.
- Use Konfig to setup the speakers/Exaktbox as per stage 2
- Now do a sound test
If problems still exist then please contact the Linn Helpline/Service dept with full details
- The rear panel LED's status, (what is On, what is flashing and what is Off)
- All product serial numbers and
- All Software versions loaded into the products involved
- Try new Exakt-Link cable to eliminate a poor connection within the cable.
- (It may work OK in a LAN but the usage of all 4pairs of cable in the CAT5 EXAKT-LINK may highlight any cable issues)
- Re-set the Exakt system
- KONFIG > select the Advanced tab > select the RESTORE button against the DSM product in the Exakt system. Re-set up Left and Right speaker/Tuneboxs
- Try different Music recording just in case this is a bad recording
Only one speaker is giving audio
As Poor Sound above
Exakt Device Not Working/Update Failed
If your Exakt device is not working and it does not appear in Konfig, you will need to follow the instructions to perform a device recovery from Konfig.
Exakt system does not work properly after software update
We suspect that there has been a corruption in system settings of the Exakt system. (This will be very apparent if you have jumped back a software version from Beta back to official release or jumped back to an earlier version of Official software) follow the instructions to perform a device recovery from Konfig.