- 1 Some information can also be found in the FAQs section
- 2 I cannot get the Radio function to work on the DS
- 3 Since installing CARA6, I cannot see the DS using Kinsky Desktop
- 4 When playing WMA lossless files, the DS will play the track for so long, then give a white noise (like the sound of waves crashing)
- 5 Ripping Music on dBPoweramp does not make the bring any "spark" to the Music
- 6 I can only see the Kinsky Desktop icon on the system tray but not on screen
- 7 Norton Antivirus blocking installation of Konfig
- 8 Kinsky Desktop cannot see the Media library
- 9 You have difficulty in uploading Software INTO the DS. (Upgrading the DS firmware)
- 10 When I install KinskyDesktop (3.1.21) or Konfig on my Vista PC, when I run it, the PC reports "Kinsky Desktop has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working"
- 11 I cannot get Album coverart on the KinskyDesktop?
- 12 Where are the User Manuals for the KinskyDesktop?
- 13 On CARA KinskyDesktop, the operational speed is VERY slow.
- 14 The front panel of the DS is showing a flashing dot and I cannot see it with KinskyDesktop or Konfig.
- 15 I cannot find TWONKY V4.4.* to run the Linn DS products.
- 16 I cannot see the DS on the LINNGUI/Kinsky Desktop
- 17 I cannot see any Playlists on the Music listing
- 18 The LINNGUI/Kinsky Desktop can see the DS, but cannot see any of the Music tracks
- 19 I can only see some of my Music and the Music keeps pausing
- 20 On the LINNGUI, I cannot add anything to the Playlist window
- 21 I cannot play some of my iTunes files
- 22 A ripped CD is not showing on the Linn GUI/ Kinsky Desktop
- 23 Status of Linn GUI on a wireless control point fades
Additional information is included in the FAQ section
I cannot get the Radio function to work on the DS
First of all check all the relevant software is up to date. The DS firmware & the PC application
check http://www.linn.co.uk/ds_upgrade for instructions
Note: some of the iPod apps cannot select the Radio function at the time of writing, but this is being worked on by the relevant software developers
Since installing CARA6, I cannot see the DS using Kinsky Desktop
As CARA6 has a internet Radio function, it will check the Internet for any updates in the Radiotime login etc.
If you have a poor or no broadband/internet link, this can the DS to appear to be invisible on the Kinsky Desktop whilst it is searching for the Radiotime website.
If you leave the Ds alone for approx. 3minutes it will start working as it realises the lack of the Internet.
When playing WMA lossless files, the DS will play the track for so long, then give a white noise (like the sound of waves crashing)
CARA6 does not support WMA lossless Music files. It may appear to play some of the files OK, but others can cause the DS to play Music then give a white noise hiss.
Ripping Music on dBPoweramp does not make the bring any "spark" to the Music
Suspect that you haven't got the dBPoweramp ripper setup correctly. we recoomend that you check the help document is on your PC/laptop as C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\Help\dMC\cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm
I can only see the Kinsky Desktop icon on the system tray but not on screen
Suspect the configuration of the Kinsky desktop has been corrupted. this should be deleted.
Windows7 1. Go in to the Windows Explorer - Folder options.. - Organize - Layout and ensure that "Menu bar" is enabled 2. Change "Hidden files and folders" to "Show hidden files and folders" 3. on the Computer - Users - <user name> - AppData - Local folder 4. Within point-3 folder delete the "Kinsky Desktop" folder 5. Restart Kinsky Desktop and it will ask for the Network connection and then run as normal
Windows XP 1. Go in to the Windows Explorer - Tools - Organize - Layout and ensure that "Menu bar" is enabled 2. Change "Hidden files and folders" to "Show hidden files and folders" 3. on the Computer \Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data 4. Within point-3 folder delete the "Kinsky Desktop" folder 5. Restart Kinsky Desktop and it will ask for the Network connection and then run as normal
Norton Antivirus blocking installation of Konfig
Make sure that "konfig.xxx" is not running. (Use task manager or reboot your PC) then install the latest version of Konfig without running Konfig. You may have to downloadd Konfig from www.Linn.co.uk/DS_software
If you get any errors running Konfig, check that the Norton Firewall has an excluision for the Konfig application
Kinsky Desktop cannot see the Media library
If your NAS is running Twonky V5, you may be experiencing either the Media library disappearing or not being listed.
Kinsky Desktop V3.3.4 and above has a fix for this. (You may have do download this from our OSS website  to get this release of Kinsky Desktop)
You have difficulty in uploading Software INTO the DS. (Upgrading the DS firmware)
There may be issues with your ethernet system.
- I would advise that initially, the full ethernet system is power cycled, starting with the DHCP Server/Router, then the Linn DS, then the PC. Leave everything else disconnected.
- Try using the Upload with the KONFIG software.
If you still have problems
- bring the Linn DS, PC and DHCP Server/router to the same location and use short patch leads (<3M, 10ft)
- Power cycle these products with the DHCP/Server
- Try using the Upload with the KONFIG software.
Finally if you still have problems, (this should be done by a Linn Retailer).
Download the software from RELEASE and pick the latest version for each Product and unzip this file on your PC.
1. Connect the Ds to an local independent Ethernet network, (DHCP Server/Router, PC and short (<3M) Ethernet cables between products)
2. Press the DS FALLBACK button first
a. Ensure the latest version of the “KONFIG"
b. Open the “Linn Config” application and select your device from the list of devices shown.
c. If you have had previous problems loading the DS firmware, a product may be listed but with no name (Majik, Klimax, etc), but will state FALLBACK, SELECT this product. Otherwise select the DS you wish to upload.
d. RIGHT click on this device and select “Reflash…”.
e. In the “Reflasher” dialog box, click on “Select ROM…”,
f. Browse to the unzipped folder S<xxxxxxx>\bin\ , (this S<xxxxxx> name will be different for different Ds products on different software versions)
g. Double click on the file “Collectionxxxxxxxxxrmp_rr.xml”
h. Click the box “Device recovery (will......”
i. Click “Reflash”
j. The reflash will take approx. 5minutes.
4. All done
When I install KinskyDesktop (3.1.21) or Konfig on my Vista PC, when I run it, the PC reports "Kinsky Desktop has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working"
This is an issue with the release 3.1.21 release of KinskyDesktop and 3.1.27 release of Konfig.
The solution until that release solution is disable any unused Network adaptors on you PC. This is done by going into the
control panel -> network connections window and disable ALL network connections except the one that you are using
I cannot get Album coverart on the KinskyDesktop?
The Kinskydesktop can either get the artwork from the Metadata or
The on-screen icon will give a better indications:
State 1: The media server is not providing KinskyDesktop with any album art Picture
State 2: KinskyDesktop is currently downloading the artwork Picture
State 3: There was an error downloading the artwork Picture
State 4: Artwork is showing
If you are seeing state 1 then you either dont have artwork for that album or your media server is for some reason not detecting the artwork. Some Media Servers such as Fruppes no not support coverart.
Other media servers do not like the size of the coverart, this should be resizesd to 600x600 pixels.
Check that the folder with the Music files have a coverart picture called "folder.jpg" with a size of 600x600, this will allow generally allow the album view to show the coverart. (Some coverart maybe in the PNG format, this should be opened and resiezed to 600x600, then resaved as folder.jpg)
Some UPnP Media Servers also require the coverart to be embedded within each Music file. This can be done with software such as MediaMonkey, Foobar2000, Tag& Rename etc., after which, rebuild your database to ensure that the UPnP Media server has updated it database
If you are seeing state 3 then there was some error with downloading the artwork, there will be an entry in your 'Debug Console' associated with that bit of artwork and it will give some reason for not being able to download the artwork and the URI to the artwork, hopefully this should help you fix the issue and at the very least try and download the artwork in your browser to see if you media server is providing a valid image!
If you have further problems with this please contact us on the helpline.
Where are the User Manuals for the KinskyDesktop?
There is presently an on-line manual for the in the OSS.Linn.co.uk site for the KinskyDesktop.
The Jukebox is manual resides in 
The Konfig manual resides in 
On CARA KinskyDesktop, the operational speed is VERY slow.
On the PC, if you have IntelliPoint drivers installed, then disable ‘Instant Viewer’ in the mouse settings.
The front panel of the DS is showing a flashing dot and I cannot see it with KinskyDesktop or Konfig.
Computer networks can get very fussy. If you have any problems getting the Linn DS on an Ethernet network, (dot continuously flashing), try the following options:-
- Power off the EVERYTHING connected to the Ethernet system, (PC, Printers, DS, Routers/DHCP servers).
- Leave everything powered off for at least 10seconds.
- Switch everything back on.
- Retry the system
You will find that some of the devices in the system get confused and cause system confusion. The power cycling will do a reset of the system and recover most issues.
- Use fresh Ethernet cables, (replace existing cables).
- If the Linn Ds is more than 3M (10ft) from the DHCP/Server. Move the Linn DS right beside the Router/DHCP server and patch using a short Ethernet cable (1M), the Linn DS to the DHCP server/Router
- Retry the system
- Build a totally separate system with only a DHCP/Server and Linn DS.
- Retry the system
Some networks only have a limited number of DHCP address’s. if you have already connected some PC’s to this system, your Router/DHCP server can remember these devices, (even though no longer connected) and will not allocated these previously assigned IP addresses to newly connected products. So the case of unplugging one device to free up an IP address for the DS to use will NOT work with most Routers/DHCP servers if there are no free DHCP IP addresses available.
This will give a better idea as to what is causing the problem. (98% of the time, this is due to a local network issue).
I cannot find TWONKY V4.4.* to run the Linn DS products.
If you are running on a Netgear ReadyNAS we recommend that you use the Netgear Forum version of Twonly 5.0.68. See  for instrucitons
Twonky have recently changed their website. You can download Twonky from
Note: you buy the Twonky Media SERVER licence, NOT the Twonky Media MANAGER licence.
the Media Server Licence can be purchased from Buy Twonky Service
I cannot see the DS on the LINNGUI/Kinsky Desktop
If the LINNGUI cannot see the DS product, check the following:
1. If your PC has multiple network connections, (wired and wireless-WifI). Disable one of them so you are ONLY using wired ethernet or wireless ethernet. Restart the LINNGUI and check operation. (You can tell your LINNGUI to use one network card in the following link 
2. Some Network DHCP servers/switches can block UPnP communication. Either check the router settings or use a ethernet router such as the Netgear RP614 to see if this cures the issue.
3. You may have different Anti-Virus & firewall packages from the Windows default, (such as Norton, McAfee, etc) ensure that these have the above files with exceptions as per their Manual, plus check that they UPnP port operation. 
4. Try another control device (PC, PDA, etc), to check the operation of your PC
I cannot see any Playlists on the Music listing
Twonky V4.4.9 has a bug and does not like Playlists. We recommend that you update to TWONKY V4.4.11 or above
The LINNGUI/Kinsky Desktop can see the DS, but cannot see any of the Music tracks
This is due to the Media Server (typically TwonkyMedia), not broadcasting the Music available.
- Suspect that you are using an early version of TWONKY MEDIA V5 that does not support FLAC, the current release of Twonky V5.055 does support FLAC at this time.
- This can be due to the Twonky temp licence has run out,
Licence can be purchased from Twonky Media SERVER
- The media server is not looking in the folders where the Music is located.
Check that the Content locations are the actual Music locations.
- The Media server library has been corrupted
On Twonky, go in to the Setup, Maintainance and select the Rebuild Database button
- The Music is of the wrong type
I can only see some of my Music and the Music keeps pausing
If you are using TwonkyMedia, suspect that the Music Rescan time is too small. The rescan action can take several minutes (>30minutes in large file collections. If you set the Rescan time to be too small, it will start performing another Rescan before it has finished the first etc, etc, etc.
Ideally the RESCAN time should be set to "0" (zero) and you can create an Internet Desktop shortcut for the URL:
http://your_NAS_IP:8100/rpc/rescan for Netgear ReadyNAS or
http://your_IP:9100/rpc/recan for most other devices
This will tell twonky to only rescan when you have added something new.
If you are running DS with CARA1 software, update to CARA2 firmware. This is performed by running the KONFIG application and select the Update tab, select CARA2 and press the UPDATE button. Complete
On the LINNGUI, I cannot add anything to the Playlist window
The Windows Firewall must have both the LinnGUI or LinnConfig application files as files exceptions. When you first install these software applications, you PC will ask if you want to grant this application network access. If you haven’t granted access, you will need to grant access, this can be done with the following link:
i.Check the Firewall settings
ii. Add C:\Program Files\Linn Products Ltd\LinnConfig\1.x-0.x\LinnConfig_xxx_rx.exe &
iii. add C:\Program Files\Linn Products Ltd\LinnGui\1.x-0.x\LinnGUI.exe
ii add C:\Program Files\Linn\KinskyDesktop\KinskyDesktop.exe &
iii add c:\Program Files\Linn\Kinsky\Konfig\Konfig_xx_rx.exe
You may have different Anti-Virus & firewall packages from the Windows default, (such as Norton, McAfee, etc) ensure that these have the above files with exceptions as per their Manual, plus checkt that they UPnP port operation. //docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/FAQs#What_are_the_firewall_settings_required_for_LinnGui.2FLinnConfig_operation (If the Anti-Virus/Firewall does not allow the UPnP port operation, the PC screen will constantly be blank and there is no data gatting back to the software)
I cannot play some of my iTunes files
Downloaded iTune Music is DRM protected, (Digital Rights Management). This will ONLY allow playback on iTunes devices.
These Music files will have the M4P extension. To make these files visible to the DS, the DRM must be stripped off these Music files. (This may be done by iTunes or illegal software).
Contact iTunes on the supply of non-DRM files.
A ripped CD is not showing on the Linn GUI/ Kinsky Desktop
Firstly, ensure that the CD has been ripped to the correct location (e.g. to the NAS and not to the PC).
If that is not the cause, it is possible that the metadata is incorrectly applied, or there is no metadata. Tools like Audioshell, which runs as part of Windows Explorer, will show the file properties including the track metadata.
Metadata is a place holder for the track/album/artist information. It can hold much more info, but it is this minimum information that is required by the media server to enable it to find an album and tracks.
In some cases, the FLAC metadata may be incorrectly applied. One common problem is that FLAC files are wrapped in ID3 tags instead of using the standard FLAC/Vorbis tagging. FLAC with ID3 tags is against the FLAC specification, and early versions of DS players reject these files as invalid. When viewing the metadata from MP3Tag ID3 tags will be shown as "FLAC (FLAC ID3V2)" instead of "FLAC (FLAC)". If this has happened the tag data can be removed using MP3Tag, but you will then have to re-add the correct metadata manually using the same tool. Usually, it will be faster to rip the disc again, but before you do so, ensure the ripping software is correctly configured.
Status of Linn GUI on a wireless control point fades
If you are using a WAP (Wireless Access Point), check to see if it has a Preamble setting. If it does, set it to "long & short" or "automatic" (depending on the manufacturer).
If the WAP has different speed settings (b, g, N), set it to one speed only. "g" should work well with most devices. If the PC/laptop/Nokia in the system can work at different speeds, it may keep breaking and remaking the wireless connection at a stronger signal. This constant changeover can confuse the Linn GUI/Nokia and cause the loss of control.
Check for adjacent WAPs on same channel. If confirmed, log on to the WAP and change to another unused channel. You can check if another wireless device is broadcasting nearby using NETSTUMBLER (http://www.stumbler.net/ ).