Upgrade from Knekt to Linn DS systems
The Linn Knekt system is a multiroom system that allows you to share source placed in one main room and share this to a multitude of other rooms. Each local room can also have its own local sources for its own use only. This allows you to share music, and control, from up to 16off Main room, Intersekt, sources to up to 128off local rooms. And also leave the option for you to listen to your own local music.
These local Knekt Rooms each have their own CAT-5 cable running from the Main room system to their own local room. This single CAT-5 allows the transport of analogue audio to your local room. Plus 2-way remote control, allowing you see control, and see what Radio station you had selected and what track you are on from Linn Radio and Linn CD players.
The Linn DS system has expanded this further by allowing any Music from your own local room to be shared to any selected ot all other rooms with a Linn DS/DSM/HUB. This again using a CAT-5 cable, but this time using ethernet transport of the cable and control of your Linn DS/DSM/HUB. This same ethernet cable can also be used to connect to other network devices and share ethernet/internet access.
Change over from Knekt to Linn DS All you need to do is:
- Knekt CAT-5 reterminated to Ethernet pins outs
- The Knekt system uses CAT-5 cable, with different pin-outs to Ethernet. This will require minimal structural re-wiring to change from Knekt CAT-5 to Ethernet CAT-5. This is only a plug and socket re-termination.
- Replace the Linn Intersekt or Knekt LIne Dirver with network switch to share the Ethernet connections.
- The sources that the Intersekt used to share can now be placed in the commonly used rooms. But with the Linn DS/DSM/HUB having its own streaming services the local Radio, CD player etc no longer need to be used. But can be still connected to the commonly used room for listening and shared accordingly.
- in local room the Knekt Line Receivers and Knekt products be replaced by Linn DS/DSM/HUB products.
- Remove the Knekt-RCU.
- Control of the rooms are now performed by control sofware running on iPhone/iPad/Android/Windows and MAC devices
- The only location area that is unused is the Knekt-RCU area, but that can be replaced by an Android or iPad docking station. Some of the docking station allow power of the existing CAT-5 cable.