Linn's digital media products (collectively referred to as Linn DS below) use standard IP networking for audio distribution and control. The suggested specification for all networking components is outlined below. For any given installation, the fundamental mode of operation needs to be chosen prior to purchasing network equipment, based on the number of Linn DS to be interconnected.
For Linn DS systems, if you wish to share audio from one Linn DS (sender) to more than five other Linn DS products, you need to set the Linn network for multicast filtering, which will require higher-grade network equipment.
We advise that you speak to a Network Specialist regarding this subject to specify the Ethernet devices for your specific system.
If you only want to share a Linn DS to up to five other Linn DS rooms, this will use unicast communications, which can be achieved with consumer-grade network equipment.
For an installation operating in large-scale mode, each piece of network equipment below needs to satisfy its higher specifications, respectively; a single substandard component could disrupt the whole system.
The DHCP server supplies an IP address on request from the DHCP clients. This functionality is usually provided by a router in the network. For this network component, no distinction exists w.r.t. small- or large-scale mode of operation.
The Ethernet switch is the connection point for all other components on the network, allowing them to communicate with each other. The Linn DS/DSM/HUB uses 100Base-T sockets.
- You can use the switch ports on your router if present, or any unmanaged 100/1000base-T switch to add additional ports
MoCA (Media over Coax Alliance)
- This is DLNA approved (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance).
- As a Layer2 device transport this has no affect on IP, TCP or UDP
Wireless Access Point (WAP)
The WAP connects the wireless control point to the network. Most ISP routers have a built-in WAP.
If to be used with Apple devices the DTIM setting needs to be increased. (Apple recommends a setting of 3 or higher.)
Ethernet over Power Mains
These devices allow you to broadcast Ethernet traffic over mains electricity wiring. Electrical noise on your home mains system can reduce the bandwidth/speed of your Ethernet-over-mains devices and cause poor communication with your Linn DS/DSM. They can also add "latency". This means that any communications are delayed, if this delay is too long then the Linn DS/DSM and control devices may ignore this communication.
For Davaar family systems, Ethernet-over-Mains adaptors may reduce the number of rooms that can listen to a Songcast Linn DS (see explanation)
Media Server Requirements
- UPnP AV 1.0 certified
- FLAC support
- easy installation on the NAS
- Album Art support
A NAS stores your music and makes it accessible over the network.
Wireless control point
The wireless control point provides the user interface for accessing music and controlling playback. The device can be either a Smartphone, Internet Tablet, or a standard computer/laptop.
Some examples of Network products
The following devices are examples of network products that have been tried at one time..
However, the hardware and firmware of these devices are in the control of their respective manufacturers and may have changed from what was originally tried.
- Router/DHCP Server
- Pakedge PK-R6F-UK
- SFP Multimode Modules:
- H!Fiber.com : ASF85-24-X2-Cisco-2pcs-HF(EU)
- II-VI / Finisar : FTLF8519P3BNL
- ASUS RT-AC68U
- D-Link DWL3200AP (Firmare 2.55 or later)
- Ubiquiti UniFi (Firmware 4.3.20 )
- Buffalo WHR-G300N AirStation (Firmware V1.82/1.85)
- Buffalo Airstation WZR-1166DHP
- ZyXEL NBG-417N
- ZyXEL NBG-4615 (Fimware 1.00(BWQ.2)C0 )
- Billion BiPAC 6200 NXL
- D-Link DIR-655/B (Firmware 2.00 , 12, Aug, 2010)
- (Advanced - Enable Multicast Streams)
- D-Link DIR-645 (Firmware v1.04)
- Negtgear WNR2200
- D-LINK DWR-921 (Firmware 2.00b5 used with 3G/4G to allow remote Exakt updates)
- Ubiquiti AirRouter WiFi 2.4GHz Indoor MIMO Router
- Netgear R6120-100 AC1200
- Managed Switch
- Cisco (Linksys) SLM2008
- Cisco SG300-10
- ZyXEL ES-2108
- ZyXEL GS2200
- HP Procurve 2510-24G (J9279A)
- Apple AirPort Extreme was tested and does NOT work
Customer/Retailer Problem Reports
This information is supplied to Linn Products by retailers & customers. Linn Products has not tried any of these devices.
- Fritzbox reported having issues with Apple broadcasts and losing connections. Check here.
- Technicolor TG799 - Firmware v18.1. Check here.
- Arris TG3482G (Comcast / Xfinity) - Issue with Exakt devices in Konfig (reported by retailer, 3rd October 2019)
- Pace 5268AC (AT&T) - aka Arris 5268AC - (reported by retailer, 3rd October 2019)