DS Entry Level System
This is a recommended guide to setting up an entry level Linn DS system, requiring you to purchase some network components in order to build the recommended system.
It is advisable to follow the instructions step by step to ensure that each part of the system is working before moving on to the next. By doing this, it simplifies the setup process and allows for any problems encountered to be more easily identified and resolved.
The following components are required for the system detailed in this page:
- ISP router
- Linn DS
- Ethernet cables are required to connect devices
- Router is required to have a WAN port, built in network switch and feature address reservation
- NAS is required to have UPnP media server software preinstalled
- If a wireless router is being used, 'N' band WAP support is recommended
Step 1: Connect ISP Router to Router
- Connect the ISP router to the WAN port on the router
- Power on the ISP router
- Power on the router
Step 2: Connect Computer To Router
- Connect the computer to the router
- Power on the computer
- Configure the router to issue IP addresses in a suitable range
The network adapter on the computer should already be configured to ‘obtain an IP address automatically’.
- Test that the computer has internet access
- Download Konfig here
- Install Konfig onto the computer
Step 3: Connect Linn DS To Router
- Connect the Linn DS to the router
- Power on the Linn DS.
- Test that the Linn DS appears on the network
- Open Konfig
- Check that the Linn DS is discovered in Konfig
Step 4: Connect NAS To Router
- Connect the NAS to the router
- Power on the NAS
The network adapter on the NAS should already be configured to 'obtain an IP address automatically'.
Step 5: Install Linn DS Control Software On Computer
- Download Kinsky Desktop here
- Install Kinsky Desktop onto the computer
- View the Kinsky Desktop manual here
- Test that the Linn DS plays music
- Open Kinsky Desktop
- Select the Linn DS from Kinsky Desktop to reveal 'Sources'
- Select Radio from 'Sources'
- Highlight and play any radio station; 'the timer will appear and start to count when the radio station is playing'
- To hear music, connect the Linn DS to a hi-fi system