DS Budget System
This is a recommended guide to setting up the most basic Linn DS system, using any networking components that are already available. It requires the minimum expenditure in order to get a Linn DS product up and running in an existing network environment.
It is advisable to follow the instructions step by step to ensure that each part of the system is working before moving on to the next. By doing this, it simplifies the setup process and allows for any problems encountered to be more easily identified and resolved.
- ISP router
- Linn DS
- Ethernet cables are required to connect devices
- ISP router will have been provided by your internet service provider
- An additional network switch may be required (see Step 2)
- Computer is required to have UPnP media server software preinstalled
Step 1: Connect Computer To ISP Router
If the computer already has a working internet connection then continue to step 2.
- Connect the computer to the ISP router
- Power on the ISP router
- Power on the computer
The network adapter on the computer should already be configured to ‘obtain an IP address automatically’.
- Test that the computer has internet access
- Download Konfig here
- Install Konfig onto the computer
Step 2: Connect Linn DS To ISP Router
- Connect the Linn DS to the ISP router
- Power on the Linn DS
If the ISP router does not have enough ethernet ports to connect the Linn DS then a network switch will be required and the devices should be connected as follows.
- Connect the ISP router to the network switch
- Connect the computer to the network switch
- Connect the Linn DS to the network switch
- Power on the network switch
- Power on the Linn DS
- Test that the Linn DS appears on the network
- Open Konfig
- Check that the Linn DS is discovered in Konfig
Step 3: Install Linn DS Control Software On Computer
- Download Kinsky Desktop here
- Install Kinsky Desktop onto the computer
- View the Kinsky Desktop manual here
- Test that the Linn DS plays music
- Open Kinsky Desktop
- Select the Linn DS from Kinsky Desktop to reveal 'Sources'
- Select Radio from 'Sources'
- Highlight and play any radio station; 'the timer will appear and start to count when the radio station is playing'
- To hear music, connect the Linn DS to a hi-fi system
Step 4: Add in other network devices
You can now add in your other network devices, (this network is NOT restricted to Linn only devices).