Template:FAQ-FULL:Linn MAJIK DSM 4
- 1 Linn Majik DSM (2020 variant) FAQ's
- 1.1 General operation
- 1.1.1 How to get my Alexa to Play on the Majik DSM
- 1.1.2 Can I plug my Exakt speakers or Linn Exaktbox into this Majik DSM
- 1.1.3 Can I plug my USB drive/stick into the USB socket to play Music
- 1.1.4 Can configure the Majik DSM to have a Moving Coil (MC) input?
- 1.1.5 Can I connect Electrostatic loudspeakers, such as Martin Logan, to the Majik DSM/4?
- 1.1 General operation
- 2 General Linn DS/DSM/HUB Wifi
Linn Majik DSM (2020 variant) FAQ's
How to get my Alexa to Play on the Majik DSM
- You need to setup the Majik DSM as Bluetooth speakers for the Majik DSM. Check Setup on how to configure this.
- This will then allow you to select your Music to play back on the Majik DSM as well as the volume of the Music.
Can I plug my Exakt speakers or Linn Exaktbox into this Majik DSM
- No, this 2020 variant of the Majik DSM has no Exakt capabilities
Can I plug my USB drive/stick into the USB socket to play Music
- No, the USB socket is only to stream music from your PC/Mac.
- Connect this USB socket into a Windows7,8,10 PC or MAC and be a Sound card for these computers.
- • The DSM is a USB Audio Class 2 endpoint with supported sample rates from 44.1k to 192k.
- • DSD audio will typically be transcoded to PCM before transporting down the USB cable to the Linn DSM
Can configure the Majik DSM to have a Moving Coil (MC) input?
- No, the internal circuitry is only configurable for Moving Magnet (MM) and Line Level.
- (The earlier Majik DSM's had the option of an upgrade board to allow this, But this is not possible as the circuitry is all on the main circuit board to give the best quality sound.)
Can I connect Electrostatic loudspeakers, such as Martin Logan, to the Majik DSM/4?
As the Majik DSM/4 uses Class-D power amplfiers then the Majik DSM/4 power amplifier is dependant on the inductive/capative load then the usual loading of Electrostatic loudspeakers may cause poor sounding instability.
Check with your speaker manufacturer for any solutions using Class-D amplifiers
The Wifi module used with the Linn DS/DSM/HUB supports IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PSK/CCMP 1-CH
this supports both 2.4G & 5G communications.
- This was the first Wifi defined in 1997, 802.11b, generally used with 11, or 13 channels depending on your country. Each channel could each supply a data rate of 11MBit/s .
- This data rate was then expanded to 54MBit/s in 2003, with the 802.11g. However, this still used 2.4G and instead of using 1channel to communicate it now uses 3-channels to communicate.This reduced your number of usable channels as other device communicating on a channel next door would now encroach into your channel(s).
- This means that 2.4G band can have a lot of noise and interference. Coupled with fact that this same frequncy is used by DECT phones, Microwave ovens, Baby mointors, Taxi Radio, Bluetooth.... These can inject a lot if noise and interfere with Wifi streaming link to the Linn DS/DSM/HUB as it may force the LInn product off the Wifi network and it will have to retry the connection, this takes time and may cause your Linn product to keeping muting the Music
- A newer standard, 802.11n, allows usage of both 2.4G and 5G to give an even bigger data rate of up to 600Mbit/s.
- As standards improve the 802.11ac that the Linn DSM/Series3 supports is a data rato of up to 1,300MBit/s.
- 5GHz is a much cleaner radio space with a lot less interence compare with 2.4G. The only negative is a slightly reduced range.
- Some Wireless-Access-Points, WAPs and Router allow you to setup a seperate SSID, (Service Set IDintifier. this is name for a Wi-Fi network.)
Advise on use
We recommend that you configure your Wifi network to have seperate SSID for 2.4G and a different SSID for 5G wifi. Then configure the Linn DSM/Series-3 to only use the 5G network.
This will then allow the music stream to work on a cleaner transport/Wifi and stop any device from interfering with the Music that you are listening to.
- There are Apps available to show you what is on your Wifi and your network
To totally disable the Wifi, go into the Konfig:About tab and disable the Wi-Fi option.
- NOTE: In the Konfig:WIFI tab, setting to NONE will only disconnect it from any Wifi network. The DSM will still broadcast its presence on the Wifi network.
Wired LAN connections
If you have connected a LAN cable to your Linn DS/DSM/HUB/SERIES3 then this take priority over the Wifi connection. This means that the Wifi connection is still on but ignored when a there is a live connection on the products LAN socket. When the LAN connection is removed then the connection returns to Wifi.