Konfig Manual Old
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Installation
- 3 System Requirements
- 4 Operation
- 5 Troubleshooting
Use this application to configure, upgrade, or diagnose problems with your Linn devices.
This manual is specific to the Cara and Davaar Konfig application.
To install Konfig click on the latest Konfig downloadable for your desired platform from the Konfig download page. Follow the on screen installation instructions to complete the installation. Upon a successful installation, you can access Konfig by tapping Start->Programs->Linn->Konfig.
Konfig can be uninstalled using your platforms normal mechanisms for removing programs. An uninstaller program is distributed with the application if you want to uninstall it manually.
- OS: Windows XP/Vista with Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0, Linux with Mono v2.10.5, or Mac OS X with Mono v2.10.5 or above
- RAM: 512MB
- Video Card: 800x600
- Network Tab: select the network adapter you are currently using
- Update Tab: enable or disable automatic update checks, as well as visibility of Beta software (advanced users only)
- If automatic updates are on, Konfig will automatically prompt you to download a new version of the application if it is available
- If the show Beta software option is enabled, the relevant updates will be displayed for your device. These updates are not tested and not supported by Linn, and may cause your device to fail.
Device Selection (Version)
- Devices will be discovered automatically when the application is loaded
- Discovery status shows discovery progress
- Discovered device info shows all relevant devices and their vital stats
- Select View->Refresh Device List (or press F5) if your device is missing from the list
- You can also toggle between Details, Icons, List, and Tree views from the View menu
- Click on a device in the list to display it's version information
- Click on the product portal link to display the device specific web page (also available from the device right click menu)
- Click on the various tabs for device configuration, diagnostics, and update
- Device status (bottom left) will tell you if the device is Online, Offline, or Fallback (Reprogram) mode.
- Connection status (bottom left) will tell you if you are currently connected to the device
- The configuration tab allows you to change all of the various settings for the selected device
- Drop down boxes are provided for settings that only allow certain values
- All other settings can be typed into the box provided
- Reboot: press this button to reboot your device (required after changing most settings for the settings to become active - also available from the device right click menu)
- Restore Defaults: use this button to restore your device to the all of its default (factory) settings
- Reflash (advanced users only): use this button to manually upload software to your device (requires this software to be downloaded and stored locally on your PC - also available from the device right click menu)
There are 3 different delays modes with the Linn DSI/DSM
- Direct - This will feed the audio in real-time to the local Linn DSI/DSM, but the audio fed to the other Linn DS products will be delayed by 100mS. If this is setup and the other Linn DS products are fairly close, the music will sound like an echo
- Fixed - This will delay the audio to ALL Linn DS/DSI/DSM products to keep the audio in perfect sync. This common delay is 100mS
- Variable - This is a lipsync delay. This will delay the audio to ALL Linn DS/DSI/DSM products to keep the audio in perfect sync, but the delay time is variable from from 100mS-2S either from the Konfig app or the IR handset.
Songcast / Net Aux inputs
- To show the Linn DS sources you need to make these visible. This allows you to hide source that you are not going to use, such as UpnpAV that is only used with some media controllers.
- Songcast To allow the PC SONGCAST software to feed audio to your Linn DS, Set Songcast - Visible Yes.
- Net-Aux To have 3rd party Media streamers to play on your Linn DS
- Set Visible to NO will get have the Linn DS to automatically switch to the Net-Aux input on receipt of a third party media stream.
- Set Visible to YES to only play the third party Music stream when the Net-Aux input is already selected.
- The HDMI connection can be shutdown whilst the product is in Sleep mode
- Usage of the Audio mode etc are explained here
- Select the test you wish to run and click the start button
- Device test: runs the standard diagnostics tests for your device (also available from the device right click menu)
- System log: displays the active device log
- Infrared test: will display all IR commands sent to your device (where applicable)
- VFD Display Fill: turn all pixels on (where applicable)
- VFD Display Clear: turn all pixels off (where applicable)
- Locate device: triggers blinking search led (where applicable)
- Once the test is complete, you can copy, save, clear, or send the data to Linn
- Sending the data to Linn will bring up a form where you can optionally supply your own details if you wish to be contacted
- Sending your data to Linn will also send any crash data your device may contain, as well as relevant system information and the debug console data
- If your device states 'Software Update Available' in the Message field, click on the update tab to retrieve and upload this update (also available from the device right click menu)
- Select the version to update (latest version is always recommended) from the list and click on update
- The update progress will be displayed in detail
- Click on the release notes link to view the specific changes available in a particular update
- If you have multiple DS devices, you can select Tools->Update All Devices. This will update all of your available devices to the latest available versions
- If you have turned off automatic update checks, you can select Tools->Check for Updates at any time to determine if there are newer versions available (includes updates for Konfig)
- Select Tools->Debug Console for detailed debug information for your current session
How do I set up Internet Radio through Tunein Radio (previously RadioTime)?
- Click here for an explanation on how to create, customise, and use your own TuneIn Radio account with your Linn DS device
- Click here for an overview on using internet radio with your Linn DS device
What if I have problems updating?
Don't panic, the update process is safe, so you will always be able to recover your device
- Restart Konfig. If your device reports the expected version, the update was successful and you are done.
- Try updating over a wired connection (rather than wireless)
- If your device does not report the expected version, retry the update process
- If this fails, power cycle your device and try again
- If this fails, put your device into fallback (from the button on the back of the device) and try again
- If this fails, perform the device recovery process as below (only to be used in scenarios where device is not recoverable using the methods listed above)
- Push the fallback button on device (should see lightning symbol or fast flashing led)
- Download the latest firmware for your device type (zip file) directly from here
- You do not need to extract the zip file as Konfig will do this for you.
- From Konfig, select your device (will be in reprogram mode), and click on the Reflash button in the configuration tab
- Click 'Select Firmware' and point it to the zip file just downloaded
- Check the Device Recovery tab at the bottom
- Click Reflash (note - this will restore all settings to factory defaults)
What if I want to revert to older versions of firmware?
- Only released versions of firmware are archived for the purpose of reverting
- Put your device into fallback mode from the button on the back of the device
- Download and install the compatible version of Konfig from the release download site (i.e. Cara Konfig if you are reverting to Cara firmware, Davaar for Davaar, etc)
- Download the version of firmware (zip file) you wish to use from the release download site (only firmware for your device model will work)
- Select your device from the list, click on the Configuration tab, and click the 'Reflash' button.
- Click 'Select Firmware' and point to the zip file you have downloaded and click 'Reflash'
- Keep in mind
- Only compatible control points will work with your device (i.e. Cara with Cara, Davaar with Davaar, etc)
Konfig won't run on Mac?
- Konfig requires Mono for Mac OS X. Version 2.10.6 has been tested with Konfig on Snow Leopard and Lion and works as expected. Mono 2.10.6 for Mac OS X can be downloaded here: http://download.mono-project.com/archive/2.10.6/download/
- Konfig also fails to run if eLyric Music Manager is or has been installed on your Mac. You can read how to resolve the issue in the Troubleshooting section of the Kinsky Manual here: http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/KinskyMacDavaarManual#KnownIssues
- The right click menu available when clicking on a device in the list is not currently implemented in the latest version of Mono for Mac OS X. These operations can all be accessed through other means.